It took us about 6 hours to drive to Sancerre, and of course driving time means knitting time :-) I knit a dress for baby Janet using yarn that I got from my Mum as leftovers of a cardigan that she knit for Frances recently.
Patons 100% cotton, in pink (quelle surprise) and I got 4 partial balls of it, which came to about 140g in total.
The dress I knit is from a 1976 pattern, which I remember my Nanna knitting my dolls some clothes from, which by coincidence is a patons pattern. I knit the yellow dress in the 12" doll size. The pattern called for 3 ply and the pink is double kntting, although from poking around on the Internet I learnt that it's quite a fine DK, so I split the difference on the needle size and went for it.
The one thing that I don't like about these old patterns is that everything is knit in pieces and then seamed together - what I waste of time. I'm all for not seaming knitting if I can help it. I cast on with 4 fewer stitches the front and the back together and went from there (4 fewer stitches as that's the equivalent of the seam allowances). With some looking ahead at the pattern and a little bit of thought I managed to knit the whole dress with the only bit of seaming being sewing down the bottom of the underflap at the back opening and sewing on the press studs. I'm really quite proud that I managed - especially as most of the figuring out was done in the car.
And now for some pictures of the finished dress:
Construction aside I pretty much stuck to the pattern apart from knitting the sleeves longer to cover up baby Janet's "vest".
Link to my ravelry project.