I was in the supermarket the other day looking at the iron on patches as there's a pair of jeans that have a hole in them - they were Frances' (she made the hole) but are coming up to being Rory's size now, and I thought - stick a patch on them and they'll do a turn, and maybe he'll like having a car or football or something on his knee.
But I balked when I found that the patches are €4 - call me tight, but that seemed like quite a lot (considering further down in the same area of the supermarket I could buy a big ball of pink wool for €4.50 that could be used to knit Frances black beauty - she goes on and on about black beauty - who, of course, isn't black or a boy horse but in fact a girl horse and pink).
Anyway, roll on this evening - kids in bed, husband at some work do (what happens in Tallinn, stays in Tallinn apparently) and I find a blog posting about making Monster Knees. Here is my version:
Marieke's directions except that I put a larger piece of fabric behind the hole which then extends further up and down the jeans leg as I find that the original fabric around the hole is always getting thin too and it's only a matter of time before there's another hole nearby. I also always open up the side of the leg (the side without the double seam) so that I can get the machine in to do the sewing - the leg seam is easy enough to sew shut again.
I think it looks pretty good - and I hope Rory likes it too.
I also found this way of making patches - which also looks cool, but not for me right now.