While getting back into sewing I've decided to make a really concerted effort to make things that are needed, rather than things that are just pretty or fun to make (there's a place for these, but at the moment practicality and usefulness is uppermost in my mind.
I was going to make some boxer shorts for David for Fathers Day (back in June) - but my sewing machine was AWOL and so it never happened. The kids did though buy him a boxer shorts sewing pattern (lucky him!).
After extensive research they bought him Kwik Sew pattern 1672 they bought this one as it has a one piece back. (read: no annoying seam up your bum.)
I've made 5 pairs of view A so far all from stash material - I started off with the medium size - the first pair (below) is made from an old cot duvet cover and are a bit tight around the waist. I sewed all the seams as French seams.
The third and fifth pair are made from some checked cotton that I had left over from making David some PJs a few years back - I think I should be able to make him at least one more pair from this fabric.
And the fourth pair are for me as PJ shorts: I cut a size small and did the medium elastic - which fits nicely. I also tried to make a PJ top using McCalls 3247 view A. The pattern was already cut out in a size that is now too small for me, and I had to improvise the back as I didn't want it tying together like in the original pattern. I thought I was doing OK, but when I had finished it was huge around the bust. I'm not quite sure what I've done, and I'll give it another go at some point. In the meantime I just nipped the excess at the sides and sewed down to the horizontal join. They're only PJs so they're perfectly wearable like that.